In response to the low participation rates of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), NeighborWorks Umpqua has partnered with the IRS to open Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites for a second year. Based in Coos Bay, the VITA Coordinator will be responsible for training all NeighborWorks Umpqua VITA volunteers and facilitating the coastal location events and sites. The VITA Coordinator educates the community about the EITC and offers free tax preparation services to low and moderate income taxpayers in southern Oregon.
Purpose of Position
This is a temporary position, from December 2018 through April 2019. The VITA Coordinator manages free tax preparation sites and events hosted by NeighborWorks Umpqua and educates volunteer tax preparers at both NeighborWorks Umpqua tax sites. Must adhere to IRS VITA protocol.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Relay tax notifications from IRS to volunteers
- Collaborate with Volunteer Coordinator to maintain online scheduling calendar
- Achieve certification in all IRS tax exams
- Adhere to tax laws pertaining a VITA site
- Lead and manage volunteers
- Train Site Coordinators and backup coordinators
- Lead in-person tax training curriculum for volunteers in Coos County
- Lead in-person tax training curriculum for volunteers in Douglas County
- Act as a liaison between Coos and Douglas County locations
- Perform all responsibilities that will ensure the safe and efficient operation of the VITA sites, including maintaining privacy and confidentiality of taxpayer information
- Coordinate with Volunteer Coordinator and Director of Community Building and Economic Development on all aspects of site management, IRS, and program requirements, and e-file administration
- Assist with outreach to residents, students and workers, increasing awareness of the program
- Manage Coos Bay VITA site operations during the tax season and ensure site is open as scheduled and adequately staffed to meet the demand of appointments
- Ensure that all volunteers working at the site have completed the required certification and recognize and appreciate volunteers
- Ensure that all volunteers working at the site have the proper tools and information to accurately file tax returns
- Facilitate Quality Review of returns
- Review tax returns to be e-filed to ensure quality and completeness
- Attend relevant IRS and NeighborWorks Umpqua meetings
- Complete additional related tasks when requested
- Represent the work of NeighborWorks Umpqua professionally and responsibly
- Degree in Accounting, Business, Tax or relevant experience
- Previous experience working or volunteering in a tax preparation and filing site.
- Ability to pass a background check
- Required to pass all certification levels through the IRS Link and Learn Taxes e-Learning Site
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner
- Basic computer knowledge
- Basic tax knowledge preferred
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage and coordinate an all-volunteer staff
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced setting
- Must be available to work flexible hours, evenings, and Saturdays
Classroom training or self-study through the IRS Link and Learn e-Taxes learning site and a passing score of at least 80% on the Volunteer Standards of Conduct, Intake/Interview and Quality Review Exam, Site Coordinator Training, Advanced Tax law, Health Savings Account, Military, International, and Foreign Student Exams.
Physical demands are representative of the requirements necessary for an employee to perform essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions. The employee must be able to read a computer screen with the ability to input information into a computer software. The employee should be able to move computers or printers and be comfortable sitting or standing for periods of time.
Must be available to work flexible hours, evenings, and Saturdays throughout tax season. Meetings, training, and gatherings prior to tax season are required and will most likely occur during the work day. Tax season starts in February and ends in April. This position begins in December of 2018 and ends in April 2019.